FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Wednesday, May 3, 2017
CONTACT: Chandra Scott | firstname.lastname@example.org | O 251.476.0002 | C 251.508.7729
ACCEL Day and Evening Academy Joins Cohort to Reimagine K-12 Learning
Funding and management assistance from NewSchools Venture Fund will fuel efforts to launch new, innovative school models
(Mobile, AL; May 3, 2017) – ACCEL Day and Evening Academy is proud to announce its selection as a member of the 2017 Invent cohort at NewSchools Venture Fund.
ACCEL Day and Evening Academy is one of 29 organizations in the 2017 investment group (list attached). Each cohort member is committed to launch a new, innovative school or instructional model designed to meet all students where they are, help them succeed, and inspire them to create a brighter future for us all. In addition to the funding, NewSchools will provide management assistance and create a community of practice for the cohort members.
The Mobile Area Education Foundation is proud to launch ACCEL as Alabama’s first tuition-free public charter school that serves high school students in grades 9-12 from Baldwin, Mobile and Washington Counties. ACCEL provides its students with a challenging college-preparatory curriculum, individualized instruction, small class sizes and an engaging use of technology in a safe, supportive environment to ensure students graduate college and career ready.
The ACCEL model will introduce our students to a NexGen learning space where they will receive individualized supports guiding them through a rigorous curriculum that will prepare them for college and career pathways. At ACCEL we are Launching Dreams and Accelerating Success for every student” states Dr. Jeremiah Newell, COO of the Mobile Area Education Foundation.
“Too many of today’s schools were built for a different time and purpose,” said Scott Benson, Managing Partner at NewSchools Venture Fund. “We believe schools can be reimagined to better prepare young people for the future. That’s why NewSchools Invent is proud to invest in these teams of educators who are thinking boldly and creating new opportunities to set students up for success, regardless of where they’re from.”
ACCEL Day and Evening Academy
The ACCEL Day and Evening Academy is Alabama’s first tuition-free public charter school. The mission of ACCEL, a NexGen learning space, is to connect to students’ gifts and passions through personalized learning pathways that build students’ academic skills, professional mindsets, and social and emotional well-being, so they are prepared for college and careers.
Learn more at www.maef.net/accel/ | Facebook.com/ACCELCharter | Twitter.com/ACCELCharter
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that finds, funds and supports promising and innovative education entrepreneurs, teams of educators and education leaders. We help them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine K–12 education.
Mobile Area Education Foundation
The Mobile Area Education Foundation is a county-wide partnership of citizens, businesses, local public school systems, colleges and public agencies working together to ensure that all the children of Mobile County are given the opportunity to succeed. Its mission is to build community responsibility for improving public education outcomes in Mobile County. Visit, www.maef.net
ACCEL Day and Evening is one of 29 organizations that received investments through the 2017 NewSchools Invent cohort. In total, NewSchools Invent provided nearly $5.6 million in investments to the 2017 cohort. The full cohort is listed here:
- Academy for Advanced Learning, Aurora, CO
- Accel Day and Evening School, Mobile, AL
- Achievers Academy Early College High School, New Brunswick, NJ
- Altura Preparatory School, Albuquerque, NM
- Big Picture Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN
- Boston Big Picture School, Boston, MA
- Bricolage Academy Middle School, New Orleans, LA
- Chicago Collegiate Charter School, Chicago, IL
- Design School X, Oakland, CA
- Digital Pioneers Academy, Washington, DC
- District of Columbia International School, Washington, DC
- Equity Lab Charter School, Lynn, MA
- Future Public School, Boise, ID
- Ignite Achievement Academy, Indianapolis, IN
- Impact Seattle, Seattle, WA
- Learning by Design Charter School, Los Angeles, CA
- LEEP Academies of Texas, San Antonio, TX
- Mundo Verde Bilingual Public Charter School, Washington, DC
- North Star College Preparatory Academy for Boys, Washington, DC
- PRIME School, Los Angeles, CA
- Promise Academy, San Jose, CA
- Purdue Polytechnic High School, Indianapolis, IN
- STAR Academy, Birmingham, AL
- The CUBE, Denver, CO
- Treasure Valley Leadership Academy, Nampa, ID
- Tulsa Legacy Charter School, Tulsa, OK
- Urban Assembly School for Computer Science, New York, NY
- Walkabout Education Foundation, Ossining, NY
- Willow Public School, Walla Walla, WA